APPPA is a membership based organization that provides education and producer networking opportunities for pastured poultry farmers.
A Glimpse at Pastured Poultry
Pastured Poultry relies on raising chickens directly on green pasture. The model has been developed over the last twenty years and allows the birds to receive a significant amount of pasture forage as feed. The birds are kept on fresh pasture, which allows the birds to be raised in a cleaner, healthier environment. Pastured poultry is raised the old fashioned way; on fresh green pasture and wholesome grain. Processing is often done on the farm. Many customers pick-up their freezer-ready poultry orders at the farm, assuring them a truly farm-fresh product and revitalizing the farmer-consumer relationship. For a quick summary of pastured poultry, follow this link.
People have been raising poultry on pasture for centuries. In fact most domesticated poultry was raised out doors until the 1950s when large confinement operations were begun. The vast majority of poultry is now produced in high-density factory farms. A number of growers with no interest in operating factory farms have chosen to raise their poultry with outdoor range instead of indoor confinement to produce a high quality, farm-fresh, all-natural product. The pastured poultry movement has found great support among consumers because of the high quality and unsurpassed flavor of such products. Producers continue to see a growing demand for premium-priced pasture-raised poultry and eggs.
News from the Farm
- Membership Help FAQs November 17, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Events November 15, 2015
- HPAI Summary Presentation for Lancaster Panel Discussion October 15, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Producers Do Not Accept Mass Depopulation and Suffocation as Humane September 25, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Articles August 6, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Podcast June 27, 2015
- Pasture-Raised Poultry is Best June 20, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Takes on Avian Influenza June 14, 2015
- Board of Directors and Staff May 19, 2015
- Pastured Poultry Speakers May 19, 2015